You are viewing e_moon60

MoonScape - Green One Off Needles [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
e_moon60

[ website | My Website ]
[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

Green One Off Needles [May. 25th, 2012|05:14 pm]
Previous Entry Share Next Entry
[Tags|, ]
[Current Mood |accomplished]

Green One, (3rd pair of socks, first green)  seemed like such an easy-going, cooperative pair of socks at first.  The cuff ribbing...the careful decrease to a narrower part of the ankle below...the successful eye-of-partridge heel flaps.  All was well, it seemed. 

Until the rejoin, at which point...the heel flaps weren't as stretchy (besides being 2 stitches narrower and the top of foot also being 2 stitches narrower.)   I had to change gussets to help with that...and then try to adjust (with frequent try-ons.)   First they'd be really tight, then (when I let off on the decreases) suddenly they'd be overly loose.  And the attempt to graft/Kitchener the toes shut...worst so far.   Each pair has been harder--this pair was impossible.    I was trying to do it flat, off the needles, using cooking twine to hold the stitches:



The idea was to stuff the end of the sock to make a rounded-nearly-flat work surface, and I'd be able to see what I was doing.   There's a separate piece of twine through each  needle's worth of stitches--6 front, 6 back.  (Tied up here to they couldn't come loose   I *still* could not see what I was doing.  The stitches "shrank" without the needles in them.   I had directions.  I had watched the video again.   I had directions in front of me; I understood the directions...but I could not see the stitches, or the results of what I was doing, except as a confusing mound.   The first rounds tried to crawl back down into the fabric...I undid them and started over.  Yes, I'd done things in the right order but they didn't look right.  I did them again.  And again.  By the second or third stitch, there was a mound of yarn...and time (more than an hour...considerably...) was passing.   Frustration built.  Laundry needed to be put out.  The other sock had barely started its toe decreases. 

I gave up and ran yarn through every stitch and pulled the toe together.  OK, it's a sock, it's not the best sock, but it's a sock. 

The second sock, I left on needles, except changing to a smaller size needle right before trying to graft the toe, thinking that might help.   No.  This time I gave up faster (family had come back from the city--the solitude in which to say things to the yarn, the needles, etc., and the lack of interruption was over) and purse-stringed that one, too.    It's annoying--I was able to do it with Red One and Blue One, both of whom have imperfect but definite grafted toes.    But here they are, Green One socks on feet, off the needles.  They're comfortable.  I can walk in them, in shoes or out.

               

The thicker heels do help with my wider-heeled walking shoes, but also (and understandably) push my foot forward in the shoe a little.   Although these fit better in some areas than previous pairs, they're still a bit big where I had to change the rate of decrease at the gussets.   Learned a lot, but it's still not the perfect pattern. 

On the very bright side, I now have three pairs of socks.










LinkReply

Comments:
[User Picture]From: catsittingstill
2012-05-26 01:11 pm (UTC)

(Link)

If I remember right, my first pair of socks I gave up on Kitchener stitch halfway through and just sewed up the toes with an overcast stitch. I mean, what the heck, it's all the same yarn.
[User Picture]From: e_moon60
2012-05-26 02:50 pm (UTC)

(Link)

My mother made me two pairs of socks something like 45 years ago. But she never taught me to make socks. When I finally decided I had to learn, I had two very battered socks to work with...and I found Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's book _Knitting Rules_. Between the basic sock direction there, and my mother's socks, and the internet, I figured out how to make the first pair. As near as I can tell (the light green socks, that may have been knit toe-up, were in the worse shape--moths or something else had made holes all over them. (The toe is closed with a tiny square that looks almost woven, but of the same yarn--it's hard to really see what it is, given the damage. The blue socks, certainly knitted top-down as the toes were perfectly "Kitchenered" , had one still whole and one with a hole in the toe.

So I was determined to try Kitchener, since my mother had done it (and the whole sock-making thing, besides needing socks, was in part a "I'm free of maternal restrictions" statement of intent.) But having found it much harder than it should (in theory, looking at the diagrams) be, perhaps due to my ageing vision or the fuzziness that quickly develops in this yarn--I can't SEE where the strands are--I'm going to go with another method just because I don't want to spend one to two hours per sock in total frustration.