I'm tinkering with the recipe again. That's partly because, in a short hiatus of making this bread, I forgot the exact proportions I'd come up with, and also because I wanted more of a nutty flavor, so increased the walnut proportion slightly. I've also started adding a little more yeast. OK, for the duration of using up old-outdated yeast, a LOT more yeast. The base recipe, just for brown bread, uses two packets. I'm adding a packet of the old, non-Rapid-Rise yeast. Did that last week and I thought it was better. With all the nuts, fruit, and seeds I've been putting in, especially the added walnuts, the two packets of yeast were not enough to lift all that as much as I like. (Density is a matter of personal choice.) I have cut back the shortening 1/6 (from six Tbs to five) because of the fat content of the nuts and seeds. This makes three good-sized loaves or four smaller ones or six...etc. They don't last all that long. One loaf is likely to disappear tonight, for instance.
I should make a second batch tomorrow to take to a potluck supper/birthday party but dunno if I'll get it done, though that would finish up the unbleached flour I bought by mistake, thinking (because it had a brown stripe) it was brown flour. The book's more important. But right now the bread is more fun.