But before I go any further...the redesign of my primary website is now live. I liked many things about the old one, so we kept some of that, but changed the navigation schema.
Now to the day: it started with a trip to the bank (at 9) and then a trip down to the city, carrying along the current state of the master map for the new Paks series (in a map tube--it's big) and two detail maps traced from it (flat, and carried in a pad of drafting vellum the same size. I needed all three scanned and printed, and I was picking up an order of Vyco to cover the old drafting table my mother had on the front porch when I was young. That table is over 60 years old, and the lovely maple veneer has begun to come off. I also needed the double-sided tape with which to attach it, a larger T-square, and picked up a brush (for brushing off the crumbs of eraser than you inevitably get on your work.) I elected to have the files emailed to me rather than put on a CD because I had other stuff to do in the city. So I walked out with "only" the map tube with the large map and its copy inside, the longer-than-map-tube box containing a roll of Vycor, the T-square and brush, the pad of vellum with the two smaller maps sandwiched into it, and of course my purse.
From there I went to the Amtrak station to check that my idea of a possible alternative route to Atlanta would work (yes, though it involves staying overnight in New Orleans both ways) and then to my friend & web designer's house to do some final tweaking on the website redesign and some nitpicky stuff on one of the other sites. Then I was planning another shopping stop on the way out of town, but once on the way realized that I had forgotten the double-sided tape, which meant going back to the blueprint shop. That took me away from that other shopping stop, so after picking that up, I headed for home. Without lunch. I got home around 2:30; I'd eaten breakfast around 7:30 am, so I made a quick sandwich, unloaded stuff, and laid out the Vycor to relax and flatten on the drafting table, weighed down with a sheet of plexiglas. Unrolled the large map and its copy and laid them out so they wouldn't stay curled too long. Went in to the computer and downloaded the files of the scans and ran into trouble...my fault, not anything the blueprint company did wrong. My web designer (and tech help when I need it) was out to lunch with her husband by then, so I called the blueprint place and we didn't get it sorted, except that they could put the files on a CD and I could come get it. When my web designer got back and saw my version of events on another venue, she called me and said "Send me what you got and I'll see if I can open them. I did, and she called back to reveal (but tactfully) just how lame I'd been.
So then I put the files into Paint Shop, and got them correctly oriented, and started doing the cropping that needed doing...and now I'm doing the cleanup (It's a long story, but there are marks on the master that shouldn't be there and could not be erased on the paper, having been printed on from an earlier iteration. I can make them go away in the computer. It's just, on a map this size, tedious.
Oh, and in between were two thundershowers and supper.