The directions I was given didn't work for me as well as what I did on SockTwo. Though I tried on the socks almost every row during the toe decreases, I still didn't get it quite right.
In preparation for grafting the toes, I watched several videos on the method, as well as looking at pictures in a book. The videos were excellent in teaching me the sequence, which stitches come off when, etc. The problems I had were not covered. (Exactly how much yarn you need for closing the toe depends on variables not mentioned as significant--in fact one video didn't even mention that you do the grafting with the yarn you've been using for knitting...you cut it off the skein. Finally, in midafternoon, I got both socks off the needles with their toes closed--one somewhat better looking than the other.
They're very comfortable except for those "ears" on either end of the grafted part. What I was trying to do was make a blunt end for my big and second toe (fairly long) to be comfortable in, and I'm not sure why the grafting formed a "knob" on either end. Figuring out a way avoid having knobs is on the list of things to do differently next time. Others include tinkering with the stitch count in particular places, lengthening the plain-knitting section below the cuff ribbing, figuring out a better place to start the toe decreases and so on.
But as I said at the start of this adventure, it was more about breaking out of the self-defined limits than producing perfect socks and I gave myself permission to make mistakes (and boy, howdy, did I ever make them! Including today.) I am no longer a person who knits only flat things. Round things, irregular things--anything--are now on my side of the invisible line. I would like to knit perfect socks. (I would like to knit, and have, lots of perfect hand-knit socks. But right now, on this day, I have finished my first pair of hand-knit socks and they're on my feet. YAY!!!