e_moon60 (e_moon60) wrote,

  • Mood:

That was no fun!

So it was a beautiful day, lovely cool and clear, and I'd done pages and pages.  Went out to work with the horses, came back in and worked some more, then it lost focus and I decided to go check the water levels and feed in the two wildlife feeding areas.  Started off with  camera and binocs on this chore, zipped up to Fox Pavilion on the rocky area, put out feed, checked water, and (as it was getting latish, with a low sun angle, boogied on down to the creek woods, stopping only once to admire a green lacewing, and then  through the woods and across and out...and began to feel peculiar.  Oh, well, so what, and on I went to Owl, but felt very shaky.  Shaky hands, wobbly knees.  Not good with dark coming on and me out of sight of everyone.  Oh, well, put out feed, check the water level, oops, needs more, turn it on, sit down while the lower tank fills. 

Really felt as if someone had pulled the plug on all my energy and strength.  Sat there in a kind of daze until the sun was completely off that meadow and it was getting colder, then turned off the water and started home, remembering the day earlier this week when I'd had a similar problem.  Walked slowly, to not put a strain on whatever it was.  But still, while out on the south fenceline beyond the near meadow, had to stop and lie down on the ground awhile.   Fast pulse...well, it slowed down at a reasonable rate.

Got back  to the house, had some water and a half-slice of bread and thought I'd rest a bit before starting supper.  Ha!   Suddenly was having chills and feeling really bad.   Two hours before I was up and functioning again.  (Like I needed to lose two hours today.)

The thing is...I had no breakfast but that early cup of cocoa this morning, very unusual for me.  I realized about eleven that I had missed breakfast, so I scrambled a couple of eggs and toasted some bread, which--in my younger days as recently as a few months ago--would've held me until six or seven easily.  It was only four-something.  And the other day this happened, I'd had an early breakfast, no lunch, and had gone out on the land about one or two.    Hmmm.   In summer, I always carry a few saltine crackers to deal with the amount of salt loss on really hot days when we're working, but it was cool.  Maybe the crackers were doing more than  just salt supply, it occurred to me.   The house doctor (the retired one I'm married to) and I discussed this in detail.

Anyway, the new  rule is, "Take some food with you, if you've skipped any previous meal."  It would not be good to have one of these collapsed feelings if I were trying to get home in a cold rain or some sleet.
Tags: growing older
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.